Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Squat Down

Many golf writers, theorists and pros all concur (for once) on the benefit of the 'squat' look at the start of the downstroke. This move is found only in the best ballstrikers and some have gone as far as to anoint it 'Sam Snead's Squat' in reference to Slammin' Sammy's downstroke move.

Check out Sam and Ben Hogan as well as Long Drive champs, Brian Pavlet and David Mobley.

The key to making this move is NOT by squatting down.
The squat down happens as a result of something else.
H _ _ _ _




3 comments:

Macon Willard said...

Ok. I give. what is it? I thought maybe his weight towards his heels, his pivot, but one of those are six letter words that start w/ "H".

Justin Tang said...

Its H A N D S...sorry for the extra _.

When the hands go down plane, the entire body will have to react as a result of that intention so as to make way for that motion to happen.

Macon Willard said...

Thanks. That makes sense. It's an effect not a cause.I guess that is what they mean by "mind in the hands".

I guess that the body has to react to the weight of the clubhead too. So I'll bet if you cast, you'll rise up instead of "squatting" down. (my issue). I've noted that good golfers squat or move down thru the ball w/ their body & have tried purposely doing so w/out success. I still rise up instead. Now I see that isn't the way to do it. My hunch is that my casting is related to my loss of spine angle but I'm not sure and, if so, whether it's the the chicken or the egg. I'm going to experiment a little & try focusing on my hands & where the weight (mine, and the club's) is; moving my hands down plane & keeping pressure on the shaft through my trigger finger to see what that does w/ my body & if that helps w/ my "goathumping" & throwaway. Thanks for the response & your blog.